THE LEGACY

This is a poem on the horrid, bonded labour system that still persists in the nation. A must read!




Sire, sire let me go,


I’m old, I cannot work no more.




I have a family and five young ones.


I’ve been here for years, spare me some months.




The sire was angered by the servant’s plea!


He said, “Before you leave, return all that you owe me!”




The servant had worked for years on end


For a loan his father had taken to spend.




He couldn’t say a word because he had no money


He was tired of all he saw- greed and gluttony




The Zamindar said cunningly, “Give me your son in turn


He will work much harder, the loan to return.”




The servant was helpless and cried at his fate


He picked up the sickle to go back to the estate



“I will not do to my son, what my father did to me.


He has a life of his own, let him live it happily.”




With tears in his eyes, he touched his body so timid


His hand shivered, he stopped for a minute.




His head spun around, the heat at its peak.


Fell dead on the ground-the story of the weak.




His family was shattered, poverty stricken


The very son he tried to protect was now the Zamindar’s victim.



-SARAH THOMAS

3 comments:

  1. Well written! :)
    You've put across so much in such little words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Mica Parker! :)
    Keep reading.
    Your feedback is much appreciated! :)

    ReplyDelete

 

About Me

I am a film maker, with a love for words.
I write for various forums as a freelancer ranging from print to virtual mediums. I am passionate about photography too.
While there a million things I could say about myself, I wish to stop at this, because sometimes it isn't about you. It's about the things you do.
Come experience my world with me...